UKRA Minimum Site Dimensions Table
It is important that the launch site is sized appropriately for the motor impulse being used.
The table below lists the minimum site dimensions for each motor impulse class. The distances stated are the diameter of a circle centred at the location of the launch pad. The rocket flight should be planned such that all reasonable steps are taken to ensure that the rocket lands and may be recovered in this area.
For flights with increased safety considerations, the next largest distance must be used after the row associated with the Total Impulse. Examples of such flights where these considerations come into play are:
- The flight involves a boosted glider or winged recovery.
- The flight is considered Research or Experimental.
The site minimum dimension should be the maximum of:
- The distance from the table below, noting the previous statement regarding special
- Half the maximum expected flight altitude of any Rocket to be flown.
- An M impulse-class rocket flying to 2,500 feet would require a minimum site dimension of 1492 feet (the greater of the dimension from the table below and half the expected flight altitude).
- A J impulse-class rocket flying to 12,000 feet would require a minimum site dimension of 6,000 feet (2,000 yards, approximately 1.4 miles) being half the expected flight altitude and greater than the distance from the table below.
- An experimental helicopter recovery rocket propelled by motors equivalent to G impulse-class flying to 1,500 feet would require a minimum site dimension of 1,476 feet. As an experimental flight the distance from the ‘H’ impulse-class is taken from the table below.
|Total Impulse (equivalent Impulse Class)||Minimum site dimensions (Metric)||Minimum site dimensions (Imperial)|
|Up to 2.5 Ns (A)||30 metres||98 feet / 33 yards|
|2.5 - 5 Ns (B)||60 metres||197 feet / 66 yards|
|5 - 10 Ns (C)||120 metres||394 feet / 130 yards|
|10 - 20 Ns (D)||150 metres||492 feet / 164 yards|
|20 - 40 Ns (E)||300 metres||984 feet / 328 yards|
|40 - 80 Ns (F)||300 metres||984 feet / 328 yards|
|80 - 160 Ns (G)||300 metres||984 feet / 328 yards|
|160 - 320 Ns (H)||450 metres||1476 feet / 492 yards|
|320 - 640 Ns (I)||450 metres||1476 feet / 492 yards|
|640 - 1,280 Ns (J)||450 metres||1476 feet / 492 yards|
|1,280 - 2,560 Ns (K)||450 metres||1476 feet / 492 yards|
|2,560 - 5,120 Ns (L)||450 metres||1476 feet / 492 yards|
|5,120 - 10,240 (M)||450 metres||1476 feet / 492 yards|
|10,240 - 20,480 Ns (N)||600 metres||1968 feet / 656 yards|
|20,480 - 40,960 (O)||900 metres||2952 feet / 984 yards|